Emmelie Åström » Members
Here you can find a list of all ARCTOS members and PhD students. In the drop-down menu you can either select the member status or the institution the member belongs to.
PhD Project title:
Benthic faunal response to sub-seabed methane emissions offshore Svalbard.
PhD Project description:
Sub-seabed emissions from gas reservoirs provides the potential for chemosynthetically fueled ecosystems to form. Few studies have documented influence of submarine gas release in the Arctic and this project aims to examine the biological macrofaunal response, community structure and function from sub-seabed gas deposits. The project is part of CAGE (Center for Arctic Gas Hydrate, Environment and Climate) whose primary aim is to understand sources and sinks of methane from sub-seabed reservoirs to the atmosphere in perspective of Arctic climate change.
Start date: April 2014
Planned submission date: April 2018
- JoLynn Carroll (APN, UiT – CAGE, Tromsø, Norway)
- Michael Carroll (APN, CAGE, Tromsø, Norway)
- William Ambrose Jr. (Bates College, Virginia, USA)
Relevant scientific publications:
- Åström, E. K., Carroll, M. L., Ambrose Jr, W. G., & Carroll, J. (2016). Arctic cold seeps in marine methane hydrate environments: impacts on shelf macrobenthic community structure offshore Svalbard. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 552, 1-18.
- Ambrose, W.G., Panieri, G., Schneider, A., Plaza-Faverola, A., Carroll, M.L., Åström, E.K.L., Locke, W.L., Carroll, J., 2015. Bivalve shell horizons in seafloor pockmarks of the last glacial-interglacial transition: a thousand years of methane emissions in the Arctic Ocean. Geochemistry, Geophys. Geosystems 16, 4108–4129. doi:10.1002/2015GC005980
Popular science and outreach:
- Geoforsking.no 2016.05.10 formidlingskonkurrensen 2016: Gassutslipp fra havbunnen skaper en arktisk oase i dypet
- EGU 2016 meeting 2016.04.20 Blogs of the European Geoscience Union 2016 Methane seeps – oases in the deep Arctic Ocean
- New Scientist 2016.04.20 New Artic life on barren seabed thrives on methane jets