Here you can find a list of all ARCTOS members and PhD students. In the drop-down menu you can either select the member status or the institution the member belongs to.
Master project title:
Counting marine mammals and seabirds in the Scotia sea: abundance, density and variability through time and space.
Master project summary:
Antarctic ecosystems are under pressure from increasing interests in marine resources, as well as a changing climate. Being a remote and spectacular area, organized tourist industry has taken a foothold in important areas, constituting valuable infrastructure for scientific research. In addition to the economic advantage of not using a dedicated research vessel, these platforms of opportunity also provide the collection of fine- (within season) and coarse- (between season) resolutions. In November 2019 to January 2020, two teams of Marine Mammal and Seabird Observers (MMSOs) were each stationed on one of two ships on the Hurtigruta fleet; MS Midnatsol and MS Fram both covering the Drake Passage and Antarctic Peninsula, the latter also covering the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, and the central Scotia Sea basin. The goal of this project is to estimate abundance, density and variability of marine mammals through time and space in the Scotia Sea during an austral summer.
Start date: Dec 9, 2019
Planned submission date: Nov 15, 2020
Ulf Lindstrøm (IMR, Tromsø, Norway)
Martin Biuw (IMR, Tromsø, Norway)
Andrew Lowther (NPI, Tromsø, Norway)
- carbonate chemistry of polar oceans and sea ice
- ocean acidification
- biogeochemical cycles in a changing climate. …
- carbonate chemistry of polar oceans and sea ice
- ocean acidification
- biogeochemical cycles in a changing climate.
Start date post-doc: Feb 2017
End date post-doc: April 2021
- Monitoring Ocean Acidification in Norwegian waters – Norwegian Environment Agency
- Effects of ocean acidification and ecosystem effects in northern waters – FRAM-High North Research Centre for Climate
- Strategic Initiative – The Arctic Ocean Ecosystem
- The Nansen Legacy
- GEOTRACES An International Study of Marine Biogeochemical Cycles of Trace Elements and their Isotopes
- Netherlands Polar Programme: CO2 uptake and shifts in ocean chemistry in Ryder Bay, Rothera Research Station
- 2014 – 2017 University of Groningen, Netherlands. Uptake of anthropogenic carbon dioxide, chemical changes and effects on the marine ecosystem in Marguerite Bay, Rothera Research Station, Antarctica. Postdoctoral research
- 2013 – 2014 Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research. Investigating carbon dioxide uptake by the oceans and ocean acidification. Postdoctoral research
- 2010 – 2012 Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research. Investigating carbon dioxide uptake by the oceans and ocean acidification. Postdoctoral research
- 2006 – 2010 University of East Anglia and British Antarctic Survey. The Marine Carbon Cycle of the Scotia Sea, Southern Ocean. PhD
Key scientific publications:
- Jones EM, Renner AH, Chierici M, Wiedmann I, Lødemel HH, Biuw M. 2020. Seasonal dynamics of carbonate chemistry, nutrients and CO2 uptake in a sub-Arctic fjord. Elem Sci Anth. 8(1).
- Charette MA, Kipp LE, Jensen LT, Dabrowski JS, Whitmore LM, Fitzsimmons JN, Williford T, Ulfsbo A, Jones E, Bundy RM, Vivancos SM, … Jones, EM, … 2020. The Transpolar Drift as a Source of Riverine and Shelf‐Derived Trace Elements to the Central Arctic Ocean. Journal of Geophys Res-Oceans. 125(5), e2019JC015920.
- Ericson Y, Chierici M, Falck E, Fransson AI, Jones EM, Kristiansen S. 2019. Seasonal dynamics of the marine CO2 system in Adventfjorden, a West Spitsbergen fjord. Polar Res. 38, 3345.
- Henley SF, Jones EM, Venables HJ, Meredith MP, Firing YL, Dittrich R,Heiser S, Stefels J, Dougans J. 2018. Macronutrient and carbon supply, uptake and cycling across the Antarctic Peninsula shelf during summer. Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. A 376, 20170168.
- Ulfsbo, A, Jones EM, Casacuberta N, M Korhonen, B Rabe, M Karcher, SMAC van Heuven. 2018. Rapid Changes in Anthropogenic Carbon Storage and Ocean Acidification in the Intermediate Layers of the Eurasian Arctic Ocean: 1996–2015. Global Biogeochem Cycles 32, 1254-1275.
- Jones EM, Fenton, M, Meredith, M, Clargo, NC, Ossebaar, S, Ducklow, HW, Venables, HJ, de Baar, HJW. 2017. Ocean acidification and calcium carbonate saturation states in the coastal zone of the West Antarctic Peninsula. Deep-Sea Res. II 139, 181-194.
- Jones, EM, Hoppema, M, Strass, V, Hauck, J, Salt, LA, de Baar, HJW, Wolf-Gladrow, D. 2017. Mesoscale features create hotspots of carbon uptake in the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. Deep-Sea Res. II 138, 39-51.
- Jones, EM, Bakker, DCE, Venables, HJ, Hardman-Mountford, N. Seasonal cycle of oceanic CO2 from the ice edge to island blooms in the Scotia Sea, Southern Ocean. 2015. Marine Chemistry, 177, 490-500.
- Tortell, PD, Bittig, HC, Körtzinger, A, Jones EM, Hoppema, M. Biological and physical controls on N2, O2 and CO2 distributions in contrasting Southern Ocean surface waters. 2015. Global Biogeochem Cycles, 29, 994-1013.
- Salt, LA, van Heuven, SMAC, Claus, ME, Jones EM, de Baar, HJW. 2014. Rapid acidification of mode and intermediate waters in the southwest Atlantic Ocean. Biogeosciences, 11, 6755-6792.
- van Heuven, SMAC, Hoppema, M, Jones EM, de Baar, HJW. 2014. Rapid invasion of anthropogenic CO2 into the deep circulation of the Weddell Gyre. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A., 372, 20130056.
- Bednaršek, N, Tarling, GA, Bakker, DCE, Fielding, S, Jones EM, Venables HJ, Ward, P, Kuzirian, A, Lézé, B, Feely, RA, Murphy, EJ. 2012. Extensive dissolution of live pteropods in the Southern Ocean. Nature Geoscience, 12, 881-885.
- Jones, EM, Bakker, DCE, Venables, HJ, Watson, AJ. 2012. Dynamic seasonal cycling of inorganic carbon downstream of South Georgia, Southern Ocean. Deep-Sea Res. II, 59-60, 25-35.
- Jones EM, Bakker, DCE, Venables, HJ, Whitehouse, MJ, Korb, RE, Watson, AJ. 2010. Rapid changes in surface water carbonate chemistry during Antarctic sea ice melt. Tellus, 62B, 621-635.
- Jones, EM, M Chierici, I Skjelvan, M Norli, H Frigstad, KY Børsheim, HH Lødemel, T Kutti, AL King, K Sørensen, S K Lauvset, K Jackson-Misje, LB Apelthun, T de Lange, T Johannsessen, C Mourgues, R Bellerby. 2020. Monitoring ocean acidification in Norwegian seas in 2019. Rapport Miljødirektoratet, M-1735|2020.
- Jones, EM, M Chierici, I Skjelvan, M Norli, KY Børsheim, HH Lødemel, K Sørensen, AL King, S Lauvset, K Jackson, T de Lange, T Johannsessen og C Mourgues. 2019. Monitoring ocean acidification in Norwegian seas in 2018. Rapport, Miljødirektoratet, M-1417|2019.
- Jones EM, Chierici M, Skjelvan I, Norli M, Børsheim KY, Lauvset SK, Lødemel HH, Sørensen K, King AL, Johannessen T. 2018. Monitoring Ocean Acidification in Norwegian waters/Overvåking av havforsuring i norske farvann i 2017 Report, Norwegian Environment Agency/Miljødirektoratet, M-1072|2018.
- Fritt Fram – Forskningsdagene, Fram Centre – Tromsø (2018)
- NRK havforsuring – havredaksjon, IMR – Tromsø (2018)
- NRK https://tv.nrk.no/serie/dagsrevyen/, Nansen Legacy, Barents Sea (2018)
- BBC Radio Cambridge; De Kennis van Nu; Oceanography magazine (2015)
- Cold Facts http://www.coldfacts.org – The Netherlands (2014-2015)
- Climate Voice, Museon, The Hague – The Netherlands (2013)
- Association of Polar Early Career Scientists – Netherlands (2012 – 2017)
- UK Polar Network – UK (2008-2010)