Hanna Kauko » Members
Here you can find a list of all ARCTOS members and PhD students. In the drop-down menu you can either select the member status or the institution the member belongs to.
PhD project title:
Optical studies of microalgae in the Arctic pack ice.
PhD project description:
The Arctic is facing rapid changes in its physical environment, most notably manifested in the thinning and decline of sea ice cover and accompanying changes in energy fluxes across the atmosphere-ice-ocean interface. This will have direct consequences for the base of the ice-associated food web and cascading effects on the entire Arctic marine ecosystem. This PhD project focuses on the bio-optical properties and photobiology of ice algae and phytoplankton in the Arctic Ocean. The main field work was conducted in the pack ice region of the Arctic Ocean north of Svalbard during the multidisciplinary N-ICE2015 field campaign, which lasted from January to June 2015. The gathered data will be used for non-invasive biomass estimates, physiological studies and characterizing the optical properties of algae and coloured dissolved matter in sea ice and the underlying water column. This will allow for mapping ice algal biomass in a much higher temporal and spatial resolution than before, and characterizing light attenuation in detail.
Start date: May 2015
End date: April 2018
Geir Johnsen (NTNU, Trondheim, Norway)
Philipp Assmy (NPI, Tromsø, Norway)
Mats Granskog (NPI, Tromsø, Norway)
Relevant scientific publications:
- Kauko HM, Taskjelle T, Assmy P, Pavlov A, Mundy CJ, Duarte P, Fernández-Méndez M, Olsen LM, Hudson SR, Johnsen G, Elliott A, Wang F, Granskog MA (2017) Windows in Arctic sea ice – light transmission and ice algae in a refrozen lead. J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosciences 122. doi:10.1002/2016JG003626
- Olsen LM, Laney SR, Duarte P, Kauko HM, Fernández-Méndez M, Mundy CJ, Rösel A, Meyer A, Itkin P, Cohen L, Peeken I, Tatarek A, Róźańska M, Wiktor J, Taskjelle T, Pavlov A, Hudson SR, Granskog MA, Hop H, Assmy P (2017) The seeding of ice-algal blooms in Arctic pack ice: the multiyear ice seed repository hypothesis. J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosciences 122. doi:10.1002/2016JG003668
- Duarte P, Meyer A, Olsen LM, Kauko HM, Assmy P, Rösel A, Itkin P, Hudson SR, Granskog MA, Gerland S, Sundfjord A, Steen H, Hop H, Cohen L, Peterson AK, Jeffery N, Eliott SM, Hunke EC, Turner AK (2017) Sea-ice thermohaline-dynamics and biogeochemistry in the Arctic Ocean: empirical and model results. J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosciences 122. doi:10.1002/2016JG003660
- Pavlov A, Taskjelle T, Hamre B, Kauko HM, Hudson SR, Assmy P, Duarte P, Fernández-Méndez M, Mundy CJ, Granskog MA (2017) Altered optical properties and underwater light regime during an extensive Arctic under-ice bloom of Phaeocystis pouchetii. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, doi:10.1002/2016JC012471
- Kowalczuk P, Meler J, Kauko HM, Pavlov AK, Zablocka M, Peeken I, Dybwad C, Castellani G, Granskog MA (2017) Bio-optical properties of Arctic drift ice and surface waters north of Svalbard from winter to spring. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans. doi: 10.1002/2016JC012589
- Meyer A, Sundfjord A, Fer I, Provost C, Villacieros-Robineau N, Koenig Z, Onarheim IH, Smedsrud L-H, Duarte P, Dodd PA, Graham R, Schmidtko S, Kauko HM (2017) Winter to summer oceanographic observations in the Arctic ocean north of Svalbard. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans. doi: 10.1002/2016JC012391
- Assmy P, Fernández-Méndez M, Duarte P, Meyer A, Randelhoff A, Mundy CJ, Olsen LM, Kauko HM et al. (2017) Leads in Arctic pack ice enable early phytoplankton blooms below snow-covered sea ice. Sci Rep 7, 40850. doi: 10.1038/srep40850
- Kauko HM (2013) Stimulated and natural patterns of bioluminescence in the dinoflagellate Alexandrium ostenfeldii. Master’s thesis at the University of Helsinki, Finland. https://helda.helsinki.fi/handle/10138/40341?locale-attribute=en
- Simis SGH and Kauko HM (2012) In vivo mass-specific absorption spectra of phycobilipigments through selective bleaching. Limnology and Oceanography Methods 10:214-226. http://www.aslo.org/lomethods/free/2012/0214.html